Friday, August 29, 2008

On "Baby Bonding" Leave

Today I also got some good info on paternity leave with my HR deparment. Adobe offers no special company-paid paternity leave. There are 2 state/federal laws that I qualify for however:

  • Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which is up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off.
  • California Paid Family Leave (PFL), which allows up to 6 weeks of partial pay (roughly 55% but it is capped--I would not get the full 55%), paid by the state. It runs concurrently with FMLA, but it takes 1 week to "kick in"

Additionally, if you take more than 30 days of "Baby Bonding" leave, you need to pay for your own benefits. (health ins, life ins, etc)

After considering it all, I think I'm just going to screw the "Baby Bonding" leave, and use my upcoming sabbatical with a couple weeks of PTO tacked on when blueberry arrives. I think we will need all the money coming in that we can get, although it does annoy me that I am paying for the CA PFL (in taxes) and won't be using it...