Monday, July 21, 2008

Pin Cushon

Today I got my blood tested for my frist timester screening (coming up in about 2 weeks) and to test for genetic diseases "popular" in Eastern European Jews. They suggested I get tested for 4, but I decided I might as well go for all 11 which included:
  • Cystic Fibrosis (which Dr. Lam actually tested me for and was negative)
  • Tay-Sachs
  • Canavan Disease
  • Familial Dyautonomia
  • Bloom Syndrome
  • Fanoconi Anemia Group C
  • Gaucher Disease
  • Glycogen Storage Disease
  • Maple syrup urine disease (is it wrong the mention of this makes me crave pancakes?)
  • Mucolipidosis Type IV
  • Niemann-Pick disease type A

The nurse was very sweet but after she took my blood, I realized she only took a small amount. I guess she didn't realize I was getting a bunch of tests, not just the 1st trimester screening ones. So she had to stick me again, this time in the other arm which didn't work out so well for her... or for me I should say. She had to call in the veteran nurse to stick me once again. Now I have bandages on both arms and I didn't even get a free juice out of it. I should have results in 2 weeks.

No comments: